Pesto

Image courtesy of foodnetwork.com
Pesto is one of our favorite things. All three kids LOVE it and ask for it regularly. Mr. T is the only one who doesn't like it; he doesn't like Basil. I know, it's hard to believe but it's true. So, we usually save Pesto for Wednesday Nights when Mr. T is busy with his bearded buddies brewing beer. 

I've been making Pesto for years. 
As with all things kitchen wise, I learned from my mom. 
But the first written recipe I ever used came from my 
most beloved cookbook, 

There are three reasons I love this recipe.
  1. I know it by heart. The measurements and ingredients so familiar to me, Kosher Salt between thumb & two fingers, bunches of Basil, Pinenuts in the palm of my hand, a few cranks of pepper, hand full of salty Cheese, crack of my knife crushing Garlic, a stream of Olive Oil in the food processor. I could make it blindfolded. 
  2. It's quick to make & easily adapted. Replace the Basil with Dill to top a Salmon Fillet. Switch out the Pinenuts for Walnuts to save a few bucks. Use Mizithra instead of Parm for Mediterranean Chicken Dish. I often add the zest and juice of a lemon to brighten the flavor. It's good with Cilantro, Walnuts, & Lime topping a Tortilla Soup or Chili along with Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche. Sun Dried tomatoes and Artichoke Hearts make perfect additions. One time, I accidently grabbed the Balsamic Vinegar rather than the Olive Oil. I started to pour and realized my mistake, quickly switching it out, worried about the outcome. It turned out to be the fantastic tossed with Pasta and Sliced Chicken Breasts. I could go on for pages about the various options. 
  3. When it hits warm pasta, the smell is intoxicating. It's all garden, earthy, freshness delicious. 
This Wednesday, we had it plain over Penne cooked in perfectly salted water. A big bowl for each of us. We broke the house rules and ate in the living room watching the original Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971). 

We can make it for you, too.

Housemade Pint of Pickled Onions, Quarts of Fig Compote & Pesto
We offer PESTO two ways:
Pesto a lá carte
1 quart (4 cups) $32
1 pint (2 cups) $16
1/2 pint (1 cup) $8

OR

No comments:

Post a Comment